Documents for Identification and Verification Purposes.
The CRC Essex require copies to be kept of the originals of two documents of a type approved by CRC Essex for the purposes of identifying a person and verifying their address.
Types of documents approved by Westminster Council and CRC Essex are listed below.
In order to identify a person one document should be taken from the photo identification in list 1 and to verify their address, a second document from list 2.
In the case of a body corporate (limited company) the certificate of incorporation will be considered as verifying the name of the body corporate. A second document should be taken from list 2 to verify the registered office address.
CRC Essex work towards the City of Westminster requirements and standards when opening a mail forwarding address. The Documents Approved are the same as scheduled by the City of Westminster for Identification Purposes
CRC Essex require two documents, one from each list.
1. Photo identification – Proof of identity
• Driving Licence (with photocard)
• National Identity Card
• HM Forces Identity Card
• A current student card
• Employment identification card
• Disabled drivers blue pass
2. Proof of address (provided both name and address is shown)
• Gas or Electricity bill
• Telephone bill
• Water bill
• Mortgage Statement
• Council Tax bill
• Bank / Building Society statement (includes credit card/ store card bill)
• TV licence
• Valid insurance certificate
• Pay slip
• P45/P60 statement
• Financial statement (e.g. pension, endowment)
• Current benefit book
• Letter from Benefits Agency
• HM Revenue and Customs Notice of Coding
• Student hall of residence agreement or other proof of accommodation
In order to ensure a copy of a document is that of the original, it is strongly recommended that the copy is taken by yourself from the original document. Alternatively you may wish to ask for a certified copy of an original document. It is recommended that a certified copy of a document is certified by a professional person. It is up to you to take steps to satisfy yourself that the copy you hold is that of the original
This guidance document has been prepared by Westminster Community Protection Department for the assistance of businesses in Westminster.
It is not an authoritative interpretation of the law and is intended for guidance purposes only.